SHANGHAI, March 24 (Xinhua) -- The Henry Lester Institute of Technical Education, one of the earliest technical schools in east China's Shanghai, has finished its renovation and has been transformed into the Design Innovation Institute Shanghai, with the original architecture well preserved.
The building was built in 1934 according to the will of British tycoon Henry Lester (1840-1926), one of the richest merchants in Shanghai of his time. He donated almost all of his assets to build a hospital, a medical institute and the technical school, along with other philanthropic projects.
Blending Gothic Revival and Art Deco architecture, the Henry Lester Institute of Technical Education building resembles a ship when seen from a distance or a jet from a bird's-eye view. It was listed as a heritage building by the Shanghai municipal government in 1994.