Wed, 18 May 2022

Taoiseach welcomes Richard O'Halloran after three years

Khalid Umar Malik
29 Jan 2022, 19:47 GMT+10

DUBLIN, Ireland - Richard O'Halloran has flown out of China's Shanghai airport and is expected to arrive in Ireland Saturday.

The Department of Foreign Affairs stated earlier today that the Irishman, who had been barred from leaving China for some time, could return to Ireland.

"His family is delighted with the news and is looking forward to Richard's return home," a family's spokesperson said.

The Taoiseach said that he "warmly welcomed" the returning home of Mr. O'Halloran after three years of forced stay in China.

"I acknowledge the work of the many people in Ireland and China who have helped make this day happen," he tweeted.

"It has been a challenging journey for him and his family."

Simon Coveney, Minister for Foreign Affairs, also thanked the Chinese Embassy in Ireland and Chinese officials for their help.

Mr. O'Halloran was a director of CALS Ireland (China International Aviation Leasing Service), a Dublin-based aircraft leasing company.

The corporation had been at odds with Chinese officials for nearly three years, who had barred Mr. O'Halloran from leaving the country.

More Shanghai News

Access More

Sign up for Shanghai News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!